Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Define normal

Definitions of normal on the Web:
-conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal; "serve wine at normal room temperature";

-being approximately average or within certain limits in e.g. intelligence and development; "a perfectly normal child"; "of normal intelligence"; "the most normal person I've ever met"

-convention: something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors"

The reason I have been thinking about normal this morning:

There is a UFC on on the 17th and I am unreasonably excited about it. Call it a lack of social life but this *is* what I look forward to. My husband remarks all the time how lucky he is to have found me as I am not *normal* for most women. And taking an informal poll of friends I have to agree. I'm not saying I'm ABNORMAL, maybe just um.. different?

A Pop Culture aberration maybe? I enjoy a lot of things most women (not all right Heather?) don't. In fact I surpass Chris on being able to watch some movies (a strange point of pride with me) and for the most part don't enjoy traditional "chick flick" films which Chris loves with all his romantic little heart. I am a cynic by nature and rear my head when I feel I am being manipulated by the mainstream studio (BIG HOLLYWOOD) machine. Or I just channel my inner 14 year old boy really well. Either way I have certain criteria a movie must meet before I plunk down any money to see it a theatre.

Good:
-Zombies, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, undead things, haunted stuff, Eastern bloc torture chambers, monsters, parasites, aliens/predators, reanimated killing machines, dream stalking knife handed serial killers, evil killing robots, SATAN, Satan's babies, evil clowns, giant spiders/bugs, regular mutants, inbred mutants, evil families, chainsaw wielding maniacs
-Exploding: heads, helicopters, gas stations, ferries, anything with jet fuel, buildings, people,
-Car chases, helicopter chases, crane chases, highway stunts that involve smashing many many cars/trucks/people/buildings
-Revenge motivated killings
-Kung fu, wire work, ninjas, samurai, mystical swords that fly around themselves
-Time travel
-Seth Green
-Semi bleak coming of age stories
-Humour in death
-Parkour

Bad:
-Animal cruelty
-Threes company situations
-Any movie where one of the lead characters dies and we all learn a valuable lesson (unless its OMG DON'T GO IN THE BASEMENT YOU IDIOT!) about love.
-Meg Ryan
-Poignant humour
-Starchy art films
-Pretension

Wow, you know I could go on and on. But instead I leave you all with this:

Ben Stiller in Dodgeball/Starsky & Hutch= HILARIOUS.
Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents/Fockers= UNWATCHABLE.

AND GO KARO PARISYAN!

3 comments:

Arsie said...

Can I give a HELL YEAH?

Okay, I haven't seen Dodgeball, nor Starsky & Hutch (though I really ought to rent the latter) but I pretty much agree with what you've said. I'd prefer a fun movie with lots of blood and gore and explosions and car chases and parkour over.. say.. A Walk to Remember any day.

But I do have a soft spot for some romantic movies, and some romantic comedies. Just a small one.

Arsie said...

Oh, and I forgot to say one other thing.

Normalcy is relative.

I prefer my brand of it. :)

Heather said...

I'm with ya, if I bring up UFC to any of my girlfriends, it's like you watch what? how do you handle two guys getting all bloody beating the crap out of each other? I love it. I really respect the sport, and the half naked goodlooking boys help too.
I revel in my abnormalness.
Miss you Karen, love the daily blog.